The Edith Fuerstenberg, Naomi Fuerstenberg, and Simon Fuerstenberg Fellowships are awarded to University of Chicago students in all fields of study who also have pursued, are pursuing, or have expressed an intention to pursue Jewish theological seminary training. The fellowship may also be awarded to students with financial need. While students in all fields are encouraged to apply, priority will be given to those pursuing Jewish Studies, broadly defined. Three fellowships—of $12,500 each—will be made annually to defray research and living expenses during the award period (July 1-June 30).
- Must be pursuing a full-time degree at the University of Chicago in one of the graduate academic divisions (Biological Sciences, Humanities, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences), professional schools (Booth, Divinity School, Harris School, Law, Pritzker, Social Services Administration), or the College.
- Students of any citizenship may apply.
- Students who have previously received a Fuerstenberg Fellowship may re-apply in subsequent competitions but renewed funding is not guaranteed.n* Note: Current and/or previous recipients should mention in their application how Fuerstenberg funds have contributed to progress toward project.
By Wednesday, April 17, 2013 applicants must submit the following materials to Jessica Smith, Assistant Director of Graduate Student Affairs via mail (5801 S. Ellis Ave., Room 222; Chicago, IL 60637) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Fuerstenberg Fellowship Application and Financial Summary Form, available here (PDF version).
- One-page statement (500 words or less) that describes applicant’s research interests and how the Fuerstenberg Fellowship will assist in reaching academic goals;
- Official University of Chicago transcript listing courses and grades. Note: student can request e-transcript be sent to Jessica Smith at email@example.com.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the applicant’s adviser. Note: faculty can e-mail letters to Jessica Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact Jessica Smith (Administration, Room 222) with questions.